1. You’ll be alone sometimes, but not forever. You will never feel more alone than you do when you lose synchronisation with your mind. Take the time to reconnect with yourself; learn your name again and understand that no matter how alone you feel, you will always have yourself.
2. Sometimes you will have to leave things behind; people, street signs, embraces and memories. The past will only ever exist behind you, and this is simultaneously comforting and terrifying. Let go of the beautiful things you can no longer hold onto today, and be glad they exist among your thoughts. Release the pain of yesterday and be glad that it no longer exists among your thoughts. Change is inevitable and terrifying but necessary and good. Cherish the memories, but let yourself move forwards.
3. You will be most content when you are being who you want to be, not who others want you to be. Never be afraid of your individuality, because it is the true beauty of anything. The right people will still be there no matter how you dress, whether you wear makeup or what songs you listen to. Don’t stay up til 1am trying to memorise the lyrics of a popular song you don’t care about just so people will enjoy the company of the character you’re playing.
4. Sometimes you will love and they will not love you back. One day someone will love you back and it will be more real than anything. It will not always pass overnight, even unrequited love is true and raw and beautiful. Revel in the feeling of giving love even though you aren’t receiving it in return. Love isn’t a question, and the best kind of love expects no answer. Love hard and don’t be afraid.
5. There will be people that you misjudge. Understand that everyone is a beautiful story with layers of details and consequences that you cannot possibly imagine. Learn people’s stories, help them through the consequences, and don’t neglect anyone who looks up to you or admires you.
6. Some people are not meant to be your best friend. Not everyone fits together with perfect tessellation. Sometimes people contradict each other. Don’t keep these people as your best friend. You are a circle and she’s a square and you can force it but you will never fit. Know that these people are still good people, but that they do not lift you higher. Let them go.
7. Nothing is more rewarding than doing as many things as you can. Do not be afraid of rejection. Don’t turn down an invitation just because the organisational logistics seem too complicated. You will regret it when you’re home alone on a Friday night because you turned that party invitation. Put in some effort, don’t be scared. It is better to regret the things you did, than to have not done anything awesome enough to regret.
8. Listening is one of the most valuable skills you will learn. Not only will it make them enjoy your company more, but you will learn more about them. Everyone has a thousand stories to tell, and knows something that you do not. Take advantage of the wealth of knowledge you can gain just by listening a little harder to what people say. And take advantage of the way that this will enhance your relationships.
9. Happiness is a feeling of contentment that is decided by you. You are in control of what you feel and you can decide that in this moment, you need nothing more than what you have. Even if things are not going to plan, once you accept the inevitability of the bad, you will learn to be content with its existence. The truth of life is that it is good and it is bad and that is an absolutely perfect combination.
10. Living in the present moment will always bring you the most joy. The past is unchangeable and cannot be regretted, and the future is only changed by what you do in the present moment. Spend less time worrying, and more time taking care of this moment.
11. When you find something you are passionate about, you should never let it escape. Hold onto the excitement of something you love. Revisit it often. Find people who are passionate about the same things as you, but also share your passion with people who are in love with other things. When someone tells you their passion, encourage them to keep the fire burning. Never be the water that douses the gorgeous flame.
12. It is so important to be kind to everyone, including yourself. Kindness is the root of human relationships, and the root of love. Do not compromise yourself if someone does wrong to you. Be kind, and avoid retaliation. If you believe in kindness, then spread it. Allow the love you give to yourself and others to be unconditional. Everything is about love.
13. There is no need to guard your heart. If you are falling in love, let yourself fall. Don’t play games, don’t let your relationships become anything less than pure truth, honesty and intimacy. You will inevitably be hurt in this world, so choose wisely who you become vulnerable to. But once you’re in it, let yourself be all in. There are no fences in love: to sit on or to hide behind
14. Accept that life is a pile of good and bad things, and that to truly be happy, you will need both. If something isn’t making you happier, it’s teaching you something. Everything is either a blessing or a lesson. Strive to live not a happy life, but a whole life. Accept what you have no power to change in this world, but change what you cannot accept.
15. This world is a machine, but you can do whatever you like with it. Lose the idea that you have to go through school, go to college, get a job, get married, have kids, work some more and then retire. Let yourself be pulled by what you love. Don’t wait for “some day” because the only time is right now. Realise that you can save your money forever, but it doesn’t mean anything if you don’t know what you’re saving for. Make whatever you can of this world.
16. Everything around you is imagination. Nothing is real. The words you’re reading right now only mean something because society told you they do. Understand the power of your mind to give meaning to things, and harness this power. Take control of your perceptions because you have the ability to see this world through whatever lens you choose.
17. When you’re going through pain, it will almost always seem as though you will never be happy again. This is also true of summer which makes the world seem like it is impossible of being cold. Your emotions will change like the seasons, remember you have been happy before and you will again.
18. Never underestimate the importance of optimism. Cynicism and hatred is boring. Stop spending time tearing things down when you can be bringing people up. Stop believing the worst of everything, when everything is a pile of goods and bads. Looking at the good stuff will not only make other people feel better, but will fuel your passions and inspire you.